Monday, June 25, 2012

The Bigfoot - Cherokee Connection

Post by: Scott Carpenter

Still Capture Infrared Footage
I was first made aware of the connection between Bigfoot and Native Americans after reading David Paulides’ book The Hoopa Project. David then followed that with Tribal Bigfoot. In Tribal Bigfoot David puts all the pieces of the puzzle together. Exhaustive documentation to the fact that the Bigfoot has a special relationship with the Native American peoples.

After reading his books I begin to wonder if there was any connection between the area I was researching and Native Americans. I was interested most in the Cherokee. I knew at the time that there may have been some Cherokee villages near my research area, but I had no idea at the time the significance.

Red arrow marks my research location
I began researching trying to find where and what Cherokee Indian villages were near my research area. I learned that the Cherokee in East Tennessee were now as the “Over the Hills” band. But what I discovered next I was not prepared for. I fount a print of a map from 1762, the map was drawn by a surveyor Henry Timberlake.

My research area was right in the middle of what was the Cherokee Capital called Chote! The area was heavily populated by the Cherokee nation. There were a series of villages in what Timberlake even called the “Chote The Metropolis”. In that era only the “fighting men” were counted and by Timberlake’s count there were 809 “fighting men”. This would translate into a population of well over 3,200 Cherokees.

Close up of my research area
The ground I was walking had been inhabited by the Cherokee for hundreds of years, the Bigfoot were there as well and continue to this day using the area.

I also found an interesting Cherokee legend called Tsul 'Kalu (the slant-eyed or sloping giant). The legend is about a Cherokee woman that marries a Bigfoot. It is a long read but worth the read. This legend was supposedly recorded in the 1820’s by “Europeans”. 

A Cherokee Legend of Tsul Kalu (the slant-eyed or sloping giant)
A long time ago a widow lived with her one daughter at the old town of Känuga on Pigeon river. The girl was of age to marry, and her mother used to talk with her a good deal.
Actual Still Capture from my video "Bigfoot in The Laurels"
One day, her mother told her she must be sure to take no one but a good hunter for a husband, so that they would have some one to take care of them and would always have plenty of meat in the house.
The girl said such a man was hard to find, but her mother advised her not to be in a hurry, and to wait until the right one came.
Now the mother slept in the house while the girl slept outside in the âsï. One dark night a stranger came to the âsï wanting to court the girl, but she told him her mother would let her marry no one but a good hunter. "Well," said the stranger, "I am a great hunter," so she let him come in, and he stayed all night. Just before day he said he must go back now to his own place, but that he had brought some meat for her mother, and she would find it outside. Then he went away and the girl had not seen him. When day came she went out and found there a deer, which she brought into the house to her mother, and told her it was a present from her new sweetheart. Her mother was pleased, and they had deer steaks for breakfast.
He came again the next night, but again went away before daylight, and this time he left two deer outside. The mother was more pleased this time, but said to her daughter, "I wish your sweetheart would bring us some wood."
Now wherever he might be, the stranger knew their thoughts, so when he came the next time he said to the girl, "Tell your mother I have brought the wood"; and when she looked out in the morning there were several great trees lying in front of the door, roots and branches and all.
The old woman was angry, and said, "He might have brought us some wood that we could use instead of whole trees that we can't split, to litter up the road with brush." The hunter knew what she said, and the next time he came he brought nothing, and when they looked out in the morning the trees were gone and there was no wood at all, so the old woman had to go after some herself.
Almost every night he came to see the girl, and each time he brought a deer or some other game, but still he always left before daylight. At last her mother said to her, "Your husband always leaves before daylight. Why don't he wait? I want to see what kind of a son-in-law I have."
When the girl told this to her husband he said he could not let the old woman see him, because the sight would frighten her. "She wants to see you, anyhow," said the girl, and began to cry, until at last he had to consent, but warned her that her mother must not say that he looked frightful (usga'së`ti'yu).
The next morning he did not leave so early, but stayed in the âsï, and when it was daylight the girl went out and told her mother. The old woman came and looked in, and there she saw a great giant, with long slanting eyes (tsul`kälû'), lying doubled up on the floor, with his head against the rafters in the left-hand corner at the back, and his toes scraping the roof in the right- hand corner by the door.
She gave only one look and ran back to the house, crying, Usga'së`ti'yu! Usga'së`ti'yu!
Tsul`kälû' was terribly angry. He untwisted himself and came out of the âsï, and said good-bye to the girl, telling her that he would never let her mother see him again, but would go back to his own country. Then he went off in the direction of Tsunegûñ'yï.
Still Capture from GSM Video
Soon after he left the girl had her monthly period. There was a very great flow of blood, and the mother threw it all into the river. One night after the girl had gone to bed in the âsï her husband came again to the door and said to her, "It seems you are alone," and asked where was the child. She said there had been none.
Then he asked where was the blood, and she said that her mother had thrown it into the river. She told just where the place was, and he went there and found a small worm in the water. He took it up and carried it back to the âsï, and as he walked it took form and began to grow, until, when he reached the âsï, it was a baby girl that he was carrying.
He gave it to his wife and said, "Your mother does not like me and abuses our child, so come and let us go to my home." The girl wanted to be with her husband, so, after telling her mother good-bye, she took up the child and they went off together to Tsunegûñ'yï.
Now, the girl had an older brother, who lived with his own wife in another settlement, and when he heard that his sister was married he came to pay a visit to her and her new husband, but when he arrived at Känuga his mother told him his sister had taken her child and gone away with her husband, nobody knew where.
He was sorry to see his mother so lonely, so he said he would go after his sister and try to find her and bring her back. It was easy to follow the footprints of the giant, and the young man went along the trail until he came to a place where they had rested, and there were tracks on the ground where a child had been lying and other marks as if a baby had been born there. He went on along the trail and came to another place where they had rested, and there were tracks of a baby crawling about and another lying on the ground.
He went on and came to where they had rested again, and there were tracks of a child walking and another crawling about. He went on until he came where they had rested again, and there were tracks of one child running and another walking. Still he followed the trail along the stream into the mountains, and came to the place where they had rested again, and this time there were footprints of two children running all about, and the footprints can still be seen in the rock at that place.
Twice again he found where they had rested. and then the trail led up the slope of Tsunegûñ'yï, and he heard the sound of a drum and voices, as if people were dancing inside the mountain. Soon he came to cave like a doorway in the side of the mountain, but the rock was so steep and smooth that he could not climb tip to it, but could only just look over the edge and see the heads and shoulders of a great many people dancing inside. He saw his sister dancing among them and called to her to come out.
She turned when she heard his voice, and as soon as the drumming stopped for a while she came out to him, finding no trouble to climb down the rock, and leading her two little children by the hand. She was very glad to meet her brother and talked with him a long time, but did not ask him to come inside, and at last he went away without having seen her husband.
Several other times her brother came to the mountain, but always his sister met him outside, and he could never see her husband. After four years had passed she came one day to her mother's house and said her husband had been hunting in the woods near by, and they were getting ready to start home tomorrow, and if her mother and brother would come early in the morning they could see her husband.
If they came too late for that, she said, they would find plenty of meat to take home. She went back into the woods, and the mother ran to tell her son. They came to the place early the next morning, but Tsul`kälû' and his family were already gone. On the drying poles they found the bodies of freshly killed deer hanging, as the girl had promised, and there were so many that they went back and told all their friends to come for them, and there were enough for the whole settlement.
Still the brother wanted to see his sister and her husband, so he went again to the mountain, and she came out to meet him. He asked to see her husband, and this time she told him to come inside with her. They went in as through a doorway, and inside he found it like a great townhouse.
They seemed to be alone, but his sister called aloud, "He wants to see you," and from the air came a voice, "You can not see me until you put on a new dress, and then you can see me."
"I am willing," said the young man, speaking to the unseen spirit, and from the air came the voice again, "Go back, then, and tell your people that to see me they must go into the townhouse and fast seven days, and in all that time they must not come out from the townhouse or raise the war whoop, and on the seventh day I shall come with new dresses for you to put on so that you can all see me."
The young man went back to Känuga and told the people. They all wanted to see Tsul`kälû', who owned all the game in the mountains, so they went into the townhouse and began the fast. They fasted the first day and the second and every day until the seventh-all but one man from another settlement, who slipped out every night when it was dark to get something to eat and slipped in again when no one was watching.
On the morning of the seventh day the sun was just coming up in the east when they beard a great noise like the thunder of rocks rolling down the side of Tsunegûñ'yï. They were frightened and drew near together in the townhouse, and no one whispered.
Nearer and louder came the sound until it grew into an awful roar, and every one trembled and held his breath-all but one man, the stranger from the other settlement, who lost his senses from fear and ran out of the townhouse and shouted the war cry.
At once the roar stopped and for some time there was silence. Then they heard it again, but as if it where going farther away, and then farther and farther, until at last it died away in the direction of Tsunegûñ'yï, and then all was still again. The people came out from the townhouse, but there was silence, and they could see nothing but what had been seven days before.
Still the brother was not disheartened, but came again to see his sister, and she brought him into the mountain. He asked why Tsul`kälû' had not. brought the new dresses, as he had promised, and the voice from the air said, "I came with them, but you did not obey my word, but broke the fast and raised the war cry."
The young man answered, "It was not done by our people, but by a stranger. If you will come again, we will surely do as you say." But the voice answered, "Now you can never see me." Then the young man could not say any more, and he went back to Känuga.

There is a short version at wiki pedia -'Kalu


  1. Very interesting Scott. Thanks.

  2. Scott, you never seem to fail to come through with an
    interesting article. This makes one wonder if what we
    hear in the woods isn't a long forgotten native language
    that only our big friends utilize.

  3. Very intersting, Scott. And what about the rock formations?

  4. Maybe these cross signs on trees are from the Cherokees that BF just learned time ago?

  5. Ok Scott you got me curious and I found this,

    Scroll down to the part about communicating with Signs and Smoke. It talks about the broken limbs and the meaning it it's broken high or low, etc. Absolutely fascinating.

  6. Around 1840 in east TN. a Cherokee woman was married to a white man. He couldnt pronounce her Indian name ,so he called her 'Mary'. That was my Great Great grand father.They went to Memphis Tn. area and that is where I was born in 56.OK I feel better now having told you that! :) Great research partner, Stay Safe, "Scouts OUT"! Herb